Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::asio from C++ Forms App in VS 2010
From: Dave (to.dave.c_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-28 12:01:18

On 2/28/2011 5:03 AM, Juraj Ivančić wrote:

> The problem is that Boost.Asio is not designed to be used MS C++ managed
> code. It will work with a regular C++ compiler (i.e. cl.exe). I'm out on
> a limb here as I do not know much about MS managed C++, but ASIO (which
> strives to be portable C++ networking library) really does not seem to
> be the tool for the job in such environment, even in case this is
> possible. If I were you I'd consider replacing ASIO with a more
> appropriate framework (.NET?) for this platform.
>
> HTH

I don't think this is correct.

I have compiled and run a good portion of the sample ASIO code using
Visual Studio without any problems.

I am successfully using ASIO in my own code which is compiling under
Visual Studio.

If ASIO is really an inappropriate tool to be using under Visual Studio,
I would like to know so that I don't run into some showstopper problem
down the line. However, if that is the case, it should be stated loud
and clear in the documentation so that people like me and Alan Vella
don't make the mistake of using the wrong tool. A compile error would
be nice as well.

Are there unit tests for Asio? Have they been run on the Visual Studio
platforms? Is there a record of this online somewhere?

- Dave