Subject: [Boost-users] Boost Install fails?
From: Dreamcat4 (dreamcat4_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-12 10:45:15

Hello,

I am completely new to Boost framework. However like many others I am
finding the initial stage(s) - namely that what is happening during
the install seems particularly complicated. I guess most people here
have been able to get going with Boost by glazing over the install and
"it just works". Other people can run into a myriad of issues.

So I guess my problem sits somewhere in-between those two extremes.
One thing I cannot vouch for is not knowning (or wanting to know!)
what boost is doing, and not seeing anywhere some firm list of
requirements (eg system paths for libraries, etc) - I cannot be sure
that my system has some misconfiguration somewhere that (is probably)
causing this issue. However what is clear to me is that many other
people can install boost on *their* systems with no apparent issue.
So... whats the problem?

In a nutshell, boost will only compile if i am UID=0 (root user / sudo
superuser).

As a normal, regular user boost install fails with the following error(s):

janitors-Mac-mini:boost_1_46_1 id$ ./bootstrap.sh --show-libraries
-n Building Boost.Jam with toolset darwin...

Failed to build Boost.Jam
Consult 'bootstrap.log' for more details

bootstrap.log:
https://gist.github.com/915620

It doesnt seem to matter the exact version of boost, or even the
"CMake" version of boost. They all behave the same way. Whats
unfortunate for me especially is that after successfully compiling jam
(as root), and chown'ing down all the created files in the boost
directory. The same error still seems to occur afterward. For example
to compile such selected library.

Has anyone seen anything like this? What could be the possible issue
here? Is it really normal to compile everything as root?!!?

Operating system - Mac OS-X Snow Leopard.

Thanks in advance.

dreamcat4
dreamcat4_at_[hidden]