Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost Install fails?
From: Dreamcat4 (dreamcat4_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-12 11:08:40

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Dreamcat4 <dreamcat4_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am completely new to Boost framework. However like many others I am
> finding the initial stage(s) - namely that what is happening during
> the install seems particularly complicated. I guess most people here
> have been able to get going with Boost by glazing over the install and
> "it just works". Other people can run into a myriad of issues.
>
> So I guess my problem sits somewhere in-between those two extremes.
> One thing I cannot vouch for is not knowning (or wanting to know!)
> what boost is doing, and not seeing anywhere some firm list of
> requirements (eg system paths for libraries, etc) - I cannot be sure
> that my system has some misconfiguration somewhere that (is probably)
> causing this issue. However what is clear to me is that many other
> people can install boost on *their* systems with no apparent issue.
> So... whats the problem?
>
> In a nutshell, boost will only compile if i am UID=0 (root user / sudo
> superuser).
>
> As a normal, regular user boost install fails with the following error(s):
>
> janitors-Mac-mini:boost_1_46_1 id$ ./bootstrap.sh --show-libraries
> -n Building Boost.Jam with toolset darwin...
>
> Failed to build Boost.Jam
> Consult 'bootstrap.log' for more details
>
> bootstrap.log:
> https://gist.github.com/915620

One thing that is clear to me:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/588496/BoostInstallFailure/booststrap%20%28full%20trace%29.log

In the full trace log above ^^, there seem to be many of my own user
directories and paths expanded out which actually have absolutely
nothing to do with Boost library. It leads me to believe there may be
some environment variable(s). Or perhaps something in my user $PATH
has been picked up on?

What are the best strategy(ies) to avoid this? Start from a clean
shell ? Incrementally source back in 1/2 half of my user ~/.profile
until the true cause of the error is uncovered? I should really go
away now to run some such tests and try to confirm this.

Anyway what typical (general) installation guidelines do the official
boost developers recommend for avoiding these kinds of issues? Should
not the bootstrap.sh script clean the environment before proceeding
anyway?