Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Read/write with gzip
From: Ted Byers (r.ted.byers_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-28 11:08:17

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Anders Knudby <knudby_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Interesting. I just tried close(in) and it compiles and runs without
> problems. I swear that I have tried that previously and it gave me errors,
> saying something along the lines that 'close' isn't part of
> boost::iostreams. In my current implementation I use it as part of std (no
> io:: prefix):
>

> Let me know if/when you figure that out. I DID reproduce the behaviour you
reported about not being able to compile 'out.close()', and when I tried
that, that produced the same error that you reported.

> Ted, to get zlib libraries built as part of boost, check out this page
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2629421/how-to-use-boost-in-visual-studio-2010.
> With some modifications that's how I got it to work in Visual Studio 2008.
> It seems silly to me that iostreams, the filesystem and zlib and bzip2
> aren't included in the standard build of Boost for Windows, but there's
> probably a reason.

Hmmm, I missed that, even though I managed to complete the build process as
described in the main documentation for boost, for MSVS 2005, MSVS 2010, and
cygwin; both 32 bit and 64 bit in MSVS, and all on the same machine.

I can see not distributing third party libraries, even if they're open
source, but what strikes me as silly is not mentioning it on the 'Getting
Started' pages, so one can download any third party libraries one may need
and alter the process for building everything accordingly before building
anything. At least one then knows whether or not some parts of the
collection will be functional depending on whether or not you took the extra
steps for those libraries having such dependencies on third party libraries.

Perhaps those responsible for those instructions should add something
identifying any dependencies on third party libraries, and a note as to what
to do if you want to build everything in boost that needs to be built,
including any third party libraries that one library or another may need in
order to have every feature working (or at least links to the installation
pages for those boost libraries that depend on some third party library).
The info Nate and KTC provided on the page you identified really ought to be
folded into the 'Boost Getting Started on Windows page (and the part of
KTC's answer dealing specifically with the third party libraries adapted to
what is relevant for Unix and included then on the 'Boost Getting Started on
Unix Variants' page).

Cheers

Ted