Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Timer Callback
From: Niklas Angare (li51ckf02_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-27 13:09:29

"Andreas Wehrmann" wrote:
> On 05/26/2011 09:06 AM, asif saeed wrote:
>> Can I use Boost Timer or Boost DateTime to trigger callbacks? I just
>> want to be able to have the timer/date-time class trigger my handler
>> functions after every 10 seconds for example or trigger a callback
>> handling function after 25 seconds and die.
>
> you might want to take a look at the ASIO reference.
> There you'll find the deadline_timer with which you can do exactly what
> you want.

deadline_timer from Asio is not a good choice for these scenarios since in
won't work properly if the system time changes. See
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/3504 (but beware of bad code in the
attachments).

Since the next version of Boost will contain boost::chrono::steady_clock,
I'm hopeful that Asio will get a better timer.