Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost MSDN
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-10 05:51:21

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 05:39, Peter <lq.yan_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm a newer to boost library. when i try to use the boost library to get
> the files of current directory, I found it is so difficult to get some help
> from boost HTML document.
> Is there any document could teach me to use boost library API? Most of
> time, i use visual studio, MSDN teach me how to use API.
> So i think Boost maybe has similar documents to help me improving coding
> speed.
> --

Hi Peter and welcome,

Boost is a set of libraries, not only one library. You can think Boost is a
"quality label" to make it more clear.

That means that each library have it own purpose, might be totally
independant of other Boost libraries and have an interface specifically
thought to solve a specific kind of problem. So not all libraries can share
the same interface.

That also mean that each library have to have it's documentation separate
from the others.

As Boost is totally independant from companies like Microsoft, you can't
(AFAIK) automatically provide a way to get the Boost documentation in MSDN
browser. Maybe the Microsoft guys will allow it later, you never know
(someone from the VS team said in a recent video that they might focus on
tools easing library integration or browsing or something).

It looks like you're looking for functions in Boost.FileSystem? Maybe this
function?
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_46_1/libs/filesystem/v3/doc/reference.html#current_path

I agree that having documentation non-uniform between the libraries don't
help looking for information. However, if you are in a mindset where each
library is really independant, it might help.
If you have problems to understand a library or find information about it in
it's documentation, then I think posting here like you did and point the
problems to the authors will allow them to improve that documentation.

Joël Lamotte.