Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost][uuid][release] Changelog for 1.47.0 does not properly warn about critical bug
From: Andy Tompkins (atompkins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-13 14:47:54

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 22:34 -0700, "Eric Niebler" <eric_at_[hidden]>
wrote:
> Cross-posting to the developers list, fixing the title. This sounds
> like a serious bug, possibly worthy of a point release. Can anybody
> confirm and chime in?

I don't have access to code for the next few weeks to confirm, but just
be clear, the bug is fixed in 1.47, just not documented well. Correct?

> On 8/5/2011 4:20 AM, Paul Harris wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I discovered this bug by accident
> > https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/68866 which was only
> > linked via the ticket mentioned below,
> >
> > The code below demonstrates that ANY wide-character string of the
> > same length resolves to the same UUID !
> >
> > Thats pretty darn serious, I expected to see a much more serious
> > mention in the Changelog in boost 1.47.0... for UUID, there was only
> > a mention of a few tickets including this one:
> > https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/5145 which only mentioned a
> > WARNING in the description ! "Fixed warning: use of logical && with
> > constant operand; switch to bitwise & or remove constant [-Wconstant-logical-
> > operand]"
> >
> > Surely it should say something like "UUIDs for wide character
> > strings are totally wrong"

I didn't realize that this bug manifested in this way. I agree that
this wording is much better.

> > Note also that the Changelog link for UUID goes to Utility,
> > not UUID.

Not sure what happened here.

< snip >

Regards,