Subject: [Boost-users] boost::thread or openMP for low-latency multi-threading
From: Jack Bryan (dtustudy68_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-19 16:25:08

Hi,

I am trying to do parallelization for a computing intensive problem.

I am working on a Linux cluster where each node is a multicore processor.
e.g. 2 or 4 quad-core processor per node.

I want to reduce latency and improve performance as much as possible.

I plan to use multiprocessing and multithreading at the same.

Each process run on a distinct node and each process spawn many threads
on each node. This is a 2 level parallelism.

For multiprocessing, I would like to choose MPI.

For multithreading, I have two choices: openMP or boost::thread (pthread).

Which one has lower latency and higher performance ?

It seems that openMP coding is easier (without touching low level thread managing manually).

But, it seems that openMP has higher overhead than boost::thread (pthread).

Any help is really appreciated.

thanks