Subject: Re: [Boost-users] multi_array with large dimensions crashes
From: Pierre-Andre Noel (noel.pierre.andre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-25 09:19:04

> The code work now, thanks very much. But the programme crashes with a
run-time error when the dimensions of the array are huge 500x500x500.

In your examples, you were using "float" variable, which requires 4 bytes to
store. If you want a vector of 500*500*500=125000000 floats, that requires
500000000 bytes, i.e., 0.5 GB (or 0.466 GiB), of contiguous space in memory.

> This is probably due to the limitation of the 32 bit addrress space.

For 32 bits, the total amount of addressable space is 4 GB. So no, that is
not directly the problem.

> Is there any other work around. I heard of creating arrays with strides
and allocating them in different blocks of memory rather than in contiguos
memory?

I fail to see how strides may help. However, requesting memory in a
non-contiguous way may certainly help. The easiest way to do so would be to
use a vector at the first level.

typedef std::vector< boost::multi_array< data_type, 2 > >
vector_of_2D_multi_array;

When using this kind of object, remember that this is not a 3 dimensional
multi_array but instead a vector of two dimensional ones.

If you cannot reach 500x500x500 with this setting, try to see if your OS
imposes limitations to the amount of memory that can be allocated to a
single process.

Finally, if you aim for even larger sizes, the amount of system memory will
eventually become a problem. In such cases, you may want to consider
distributed computing...

Hope it helps,

Pierre-André