Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Containers] Marshalling deques
From: Michael Goldshteyn (mgoldshteyn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-26 11:33:21

>"Ion Gaztañaga" wrote in message news:4E5725CA.6040206_at_gmail.com...

>El 25/08/2011 22:01, Michael Goldshteyn escribió:
>>
>> I think that having a “configurable” deque class template is one of the
>> best things that could be offered by a boost Containers library. I have
>> always wondered why noone wrote a version of the deque class template
>> that allowed the configuration of such things as the page / block size,
>> rather than have it be determined by a compile time formula based on the
>> size of the data type being stored. It would seem to me that the page /
>> block size is one of the more critical pieces affecting the size / speed
>> tradeoffs in a deque’s performance when there are many insertions taking
>> place.

>That's is a good idea, thanks. I'll add this to the to-do list.

Likewise, making the growth multiplier for vector configurable via a
template argument would be the other boon in such a container library. These
two features (deque page / block size and vector multiplier config) should
have been part of the STL to begin with. How many times have library vendors
tweaked these two items? Why not let the developer choose his constants /
coefficients at the time of class template instantiation?

Michael Goldshteyn