Subject: Re: [Boost-users] A forward iterator need not be default-constructible
From: Brian Allison (brian.w.allison_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-30 12:53:16

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Andrew Sutton <asutton.list_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> > If your basic expectations do not take the standard into account then
> your
> > expectations may lead you to Undefined-Behavior-Land.
>
> Again, the standard is too strict with this limitation; it can be
> relaxed. Objects of regular types should always be equal to themselves
> even when they are uninitialized or have singular value.

When discussing what is allowed on a type T, you're intrinsically discussing
the standard.

When discussing what a compiler allows, you're not.

When discussing what you'd *like *to be allowed, you're not.

I had thought we were discussing what was allowed on type T.

> > Optimizations are clever, and used to be viewed with suspicion.
>
> I don't think that this is an unreasonable position.

Yet "any sentence that starts with 'a clever compiler' should be viewed with
suspicion" contradicts the very position you think is reasonable, and was
stated as an answer to an example of an optimization a clever compiler might
make.