Subject: Re: [Boost-users] serialization basic question
From: Luis A. Montes (luis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-14 16:18:27

On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 21:59 -0800, Robert Ramey wrote:
> Luis A. Montes wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to use the serialization library and was having a compile
> > error using MSVC 2005. So I decided to try and compile "A Very Simple
> > Case" from the tutorial, and that of course works. But then I noticed
> > that the example serializes a const object, that sort of is rather
> > useless, so I removed the const specifier, and I got the same error
> > that I was getting with my program, namely:
> > warning C4099:
> > 'boost::serialization::static_warning_impl<false>::STATIC_WARNING' :
> > type name first seen using 'struct' now seen using 'class'
> >
> > I went googling for an answer and I found that I should look at the
> > rationale on the docs, but the rationale
> > (http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_47_0/libs/serialization/doc/rationale.html)
> > doesn't seem at all relevant.
>
> This is the best explanation I can give to address the issue with "const".
> Even if you don't buy the explanation, it's easy to avoid by using
> a const_cast.
>
> Robert Ramey

Thanks, Robert

First of all I didn't mean to criticize, it's just that for me things
are not as clear because I'm not an expert, so it's not like I don't
buy it, I just don't see it. But I'll take your word for it. So a const
cast it is. If you can indulge me a little bit more, though, what I did
to fix my problem, that works on the tutorial example as well, was to
add:

BOOST_CLASS_TRACKING(MyClass, boost::serialization::track_never)

If I understand it right, I would want object tracking only if my
classes somewhere in their implementation use pointers to keep track of
members. I don't do that but I do use STL containers in several places.
Am I liable to break serialization by using that macro? If you think I
should just RTFM, please do so (I think I did, though)

Thanks again for a very useful library