Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [C++ Now! 2012] Call for Submissions
From: Nat Linden (nat_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-10 16:27:17

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Boris Schaeling <boris_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The solution seems to be to focus more on extensibility. That's what Jeff Flinn proposed with what he calls executor concept. I'm not sure where to point you to though if you want to read more about it (there were quite a lot of discussions in the devel mailing list in spring).

Hmm... so one way for an interested party to contribute would be to
research and compile documentation.

>> [...]Whatever work you can put into evolving Boost.Process between January
>> and May will be wonderful. But that's not even what I'm requesting.
>> What I'd really like from you this May isn't so much a presentation,
>> but rather chairing a working session to nail down any
>> unresolved/controversial issues. I would be thrilled if, at the close
>> of this inaugural C++ Now! conference, all that remained unfinished
>> with Boost.Process was the implementation. I'd want us to emerge with
>> a solid API ready for the Boost review process, as soon as the
>> implementation is done.
>
> I think that's we did at BoostCon 2011. With Jeff's executor concept we have an idea lots of people agreed with to give it another try. We wanted to work on the code after BoostCon 2011 but didn't do much (at least not at <https://github.com/JeffFlinn/boost-process>; I managed to create the object_handle at least). So I think it's definitely a good idea to do a session on Boost.Process again. But I also think we (or I :) should work on Boost.Process code before May to be able to present something new. :)

Thanks for the update! Sounds like this is in much better shape than
I'd feared (as I haven't been following the developer's list).

Maybe a useful early task would be to try to partition the
implementation roadmap so you could dole out pieces to interested
parties?