Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost 1.48.0 Release Notice
From: Andrew Maclean (andrew.amaclean_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-17 16:09:13

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Brian Budge <brian.budge_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Tom Kent <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > I'm confused. Are those new items? I've never seen them build
> > before, but then again I've never actually used the iostreams library.
> >
> > >From the format of the filename strings, they look like independent
> > libraries, but zip and bzip2 aren't shown on the boost libraries page.
> > Is there a chance you're actually looking for the zlib and libbz2?
> >
> > Tom
>
> For windows these are built for convenience so that zlib and bz2 are
> packaged along with the boost libs since it is not terribly common to
> have them available on all windows boxes. You just have to tell bjam
> to build them when building the rest of the code; they are optional
> and not built by default.
>
> Brian

You are correct but I have never seen bzip2 or zlib included in the boost
libraries. I have generally built them separately and then added the
following settings to my boost build:

set BZIP_PATH=C:\Users\amaclean\wherever\bzip
set ZLIB_PATH=C:\Users\amaclean\wherever\zlib
rem Setting environment for building iostreams with bzip and gzip.
set NO_COMPRESSION=0
set NO_BZIP2=0
set BZIP2_SOURCE="%BZIP_PATH%\bzip2-1.0.6"
set NO_ZLIB=0
set ZLIB_SOURCE="%ZLIB_PATH%\zlib-1.2.5"

Maybe they should be included in boost and only used in windows builds.

Andrew

Andrew J. P. Maclean
Australian Centre for Field Robotics (ACFR)
The Rose Street Building J04
The University of Sydney  2006  NSW
AUSTRALIA
Ph: +61 2 9351 3283