Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [random] saving state of generator
From: Gabriel Redner (gredner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-31 15:23:06

Hi Thomas,

The << and >> operators are the right way to save and restore the PRNG
state. From the docs:

"Classes which model a pseudo-random number generator should also
model the Streamable concept, i.e. implement operator<< and
operator>>. If so, operator<< writes all current state of the
pseudo-random number generator to the given ostream so that operator>>
can restore the state at a later time. The state shall be written in a
platform-independent manner, but it is assumed that the locales used
for writing and reading be the same. The pseudo-random number
generator with the restored state and the original at the just-written
state shall be equivalent."

(http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_48_0/doc/html/boost_random/reference.html#boost_random.reference.concepts.pseudo_random_number_generator)

-Gabe