Subject: Re: [Boost-users] BoostCon/C++Now! Talk: How I Code and Why
From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-14 02:14:00

On 2/13/12, Robert Jones <robertgbjones_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Gottlob Frege
> <gottlobfrege_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>
>> I talked about this last year, and this year I've submitted the proposal,
>> so
>>

> Do you mean "talked about" it on the mailing list, or "talked about" it as
> in presented a talk?
> If the latter can you supply a link to your previous talk?

I mean talked about on the list (and in person with a few people at
boostcon11, but not as part of a talk). I can supply a link to my
previous discussion, I suppose:
http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/Boost-Talk-quot-How-I-Code-quot-td3320509.html

>> [...snipped lots...]
>

> This sounds potentially interesting, but I'm not really sure I understand
> what you mean! Can you
> give an example, so I can better understand what you're getting at?

Well, I don't want to give away the punch line, but in one slide I
could present the code that lead me to the guideline "my favourite
comment word is 'otherwise'". That leads to a general discussion of
good vs bad commenting, "self documenting code", etc. But I find the
"otherwise" mantra an easy way to explain and remind people about the
principles involved.

So, the interesting part to me would be to try to summarize your
coding style into a single fundamental/essential trait - ie if I had
to pick one thing to follow/remember. (For me it isn't actually
commenting style; it would probably be "separation of concerns", but
I'm not sure I have the "Reader's Digest" explanation for that yet.)

> Thx,
>
> - Rob.

Hope that helps,
Tony