Subject: Re: [Boost-users] BoostCon/C++Now! Talk: How I Code and Why
From: Robert Jones (robertgbjones_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-14 09:26:33

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Chris Cleeland <chris.cleeland_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 3:54 AM, Robert Jones <robertgbjones_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> > I feel quite tempted to put forward my experience nugget as 'code
> slowly',
> > but that might not
> > be the most career-advancing suggestion!
>
> :) Maybe a better way to phrase it would be to borrow the old
> carpenter's mantra of "measure twice, cut once" ?

Ah, the beauty of language! They do as much to divide us to unite us.

My broader point, obviously very badly made, was the more subtle suggestion
that
sometimes the wisdom and behaviour learnt from real experience, while valid
and valuable,
may be at odds with the more superficial, less informed behaviours that we
are 'required'
to champion.

To say that is not particularly to criticise any or all organisations,
merely to recognise that
group wisdom, aka mob rule, is necessarily the product of the lowest common
denominator
of experience.

I'll get my coat.

- Rob.