Subject: [Boost-users] Building boost to NOT USE built-in Visual Studio 2010 TR1 random
From: Nelis Willers (neliswillers_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-03 08:09:17

Dear Boost-Users

boost 1.49.0 and Visual Studio 2010 / Visual Studio 2005 / & g++ 4.6.3 on
(Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04)
Build boost libs locally, using the local compilers.

The objective is to get exactly the same random number generator behaviour
for the same application built with VS2005, VS2010 and Gnu compilers.

Building the same code, I see the* same normal & uniform* results under gnu
and VS2005 builds (presumably boost random is used under VS2005).

Building the same code, I see the different *normal results* under gnu and
VS2010 builds (presumably the native VC lib is used under VS2010).

So I would like to use (at least) boost's random library instead of the
native Visual C++ 2010 library.

>From boost docs I learned that it is possible to set up the boost config
files such as to use/not use the native compiler/library TR1 implementation:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_49_0/libs/config/doc/html/index.html#boost_config.configuring_boost_for_your_platform
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_49_0/libs/config/doc/html/boost_config/boost_macro_reference.html
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_49_0/doc/html/boost_tr1/usage.html#boost_tr1.usage.native

I cannot however, figure out how to do this from the above docs.
BOOST_HAS_TR1_RANDOM comes into it, but I fail to get the big picture.

Can anybody please advise?

thanks in advance!

nelis