Subject: Re: [Boost-users] eos_portable_archive for 1.49
From: Paul Harris (harris.pc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-26 00:55:05

On 26 June 2012 12:49, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> **
> Paul Harris wrote:
> > On 26 June 2012 09:09, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > The ONLY reason I need to use the portable binary archive, is because
> > the usual binary archive's header is incompatible between 32 and 64
> > bit. And potentially version number integers and
> > number-of-elements-in-an-array integers and other such overhead
> > stuff.
> well of course that's the only reason. binary archive can just stream
> all the bits. to be portable, each element must be considered for
> endianness at a minimum.
>
> One could possible make this faster, but I doubt that it would
> be worth the effort.
>
> Robert Ramey

I load large archives. In debug mode, its slow (of course). the
difference is about 3-6 seconds (with array-optimization) compared to 30-60
seconds. very painful for debugging!

So I'll be flipping on the array mode in my eos code.

If I were to want to expend the effort, I was wondering... could I just
reimplement the save_array() method?
Its not virtual, but I think in this case I can just implement it and rely
on my method shadowing the original basic_binary version.

Any other tips you might have would be appreciated.

thanks!
Paul