Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [unordered_map]: Unexpected exception on valueinsertion
From: Johannes Brunen (JBrunen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-21 08:21:42

Hello Daniel,

for some reason, we have set the control flag for raising invalid number
exceptions. On default this is disabled*. The SSE2 instruction cvttss2si,
which causes the problem, does return indefinite integer value (80000000H)
if the exception is masked**. I.e. without taking proper action the unit
test shouldn't see the problem?

Additionally, the problem is 64 bit specific. On 32 bit it would be
necessary to explicitely compile with SSE2 support. On 64 bit SSE2 is always
used*.

*http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff545910%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
**http://www.jaist.ac.jp/iscenter-new/mpc/altix/altixdata/opt/intel/vtune/doc/users_guide/mergedProjects/analyzer_ec/mergedProjects/reference_olh/mergedProjects/instructions/instruct32_hh/vc68.htm

I see two problems running the unit test:
1. I would have to setup the runtime for 64 bit including the mentioned
exception mask.
2. I'm not proficient in the usage of the unit test framework.

How can I change the hash function used for floats and doubles,
respectively?
Do you have an example for hashing the binary representation?

I also use the multi_index container with a hashed_index on floats. I see
the very same problems lurking on this side. If this is a real problem it
might be worth to change the implementation of the hash function in general?

Best
Johannes