Subject: [Boost-users] Why is there so much co-dependency in Boost? Is there anything to be done about it?
From: steve_at_[hidden]
Date: 2012-09-03 01:43:13

Greetings,

As a veteran C++ programmer, I've been an admirer of the Boost library for many
years. I've used it at a number of companies I've worked for, especially the
SmartPtr library.

Right now I'm working for a company that worries a lot about negative exposure
to Open Source software issues such as questions that might arise about
authorship, copyright or even patent issues. The company does allow the use of
Open Source software, but it requires that each piece of code that is brought in
first be justified and vetted. Unfortunately, I'm finding this to be a nearly
impossible task when I look at the amount of code that must be compiled to use
the Boost modules I'm interested in.

I've done a study and written some tools, to determine just how many Boost
header files must be included to use some of the Boost modules. The numbers are
staggering:

   Any: 79

   FileSystem: 276

   Smart Ptr: 382

   String Algo: 180

I went on and did a tally of which modules these header files came from. Here
are the counts for how many other Boost modules each of these modules depends
upon:

   Any: 8

   FileSystem: 13

   SmartPtr: 8

   String Algo: 15

Given these numbers, I think I have to abandon any thoughts of using Boost
within my current company. There's no way I'm going to get approval to bring so
much code into our work just to get a SmartPtr or FIleSystem library. This is
unfortunate, because due to Boost's existence there doesn't seem to be much work
going on out there to offer lighter weight alternatives.

I'm writing this request in the hopes that there's something I'm missing here,
and that someone can point out my folly. Is there a way to utilize any of these
Boost modules in such a way that they do not require the inclusion of so much
code? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this fly with
my boss? Has this issue come up before and been considered by the Boost
designers? I find the issue baffling.

TIA for any help or insight anyone can provide.

Steve