Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Why is there so much co-dependency in Boost? Is there anything to be done about it?
From: Charles Mills (charlesm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-06 13:21:41

Thanks, Steve, for your EXCELLENT exposition in point 6 of the issues involved.

Are folks familiar with http://www.blackducksoftware.com/protex ? (I have no interest in Black Duck and have not myself ever used their products or services.)

The “offending” code unfortunately does not even have to come from the Internet:

Jones is working on a software project. He engages his buddy Smith to write portions of the code on a handshake sub-contractor basis. Jones subsequently contributes some of the code to Boost or another open source project, with all of the proper paperwork. Smith probably has a copyright claim on any code that uses the open source project.

Smith is a nice guy and told Jones “he would never sue anybody” but when he sees the name Disney the cash register in his mind goes ca-ching! He rationalizes suing on the basis that Disney (or fill in your favorite corporation) is part of the evil empire.

Charles