Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: [MPI] missing symbols using serialization's static library design
From: Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. (jeffrey.hellrung_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-19 08:50:18

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > "Barrett, Brian W" <bwbarre_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> >> Unfortunately, I'm barely competent in using Boost.MPI and
> >> Boost.Serialization. I'm definitely not in a position to be able to
> >> apply a patch.
> >>
> >> What I'm getting from your responses and the general silence
> >> elsewhere is that the right answer is to deal with the
> >> incompatibilities between versions of Boost and explicitly
> >> instantiate all the internal MPI archivers and hope for the best.
> >> It's a little painful, but I think we can do that.
> >
> > Well, your organization could contract with me to address this for
> > you.
> >
> > I've done special work for several companies which use the
> > serialization
> > library. This work has been contributed to boost and become part of
> > the
> > distributed package. So
> >
> > a) The organization gets what it needs for a reasonable cost.
> > b) Any generally useful enhancements get included in the library
> >
> > So it helps everyone all around.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for considering this.
> >

> > I'm not at all versed (let alone well-versed) in either
> > Boost.Serialization nor Boost.MPI, so I am not sure what Brian's
> > issue exactly is, but I'm curious, Robert, if you acknowledge this as
> > an issue? It seems strange to require a user to fiddle with stuff in
> > the detail namespace of a library.
>
> I don't doubt it's an issue. Note that I didn't write the MPI serilializat
> and in fact have never even glanced at it.

Ah, okay. Fair enough. And I suppose to don't really have any Boost.MPI
experts/maintainers lurking...?

Brian, it sounds like at a minimum you should file a trac ticket against
Boost.MPI (if one does not already exist), so at least the issue is
recorded.

> Also, and I mean this with the best of intentions, but your
> > (Robert's) response here could be construed as...unhelpful, and I'm
> > taking specific aim at the parting sarcasm. If you don't have the
> > time and/or resources to address this or some other issue, I think
> > stating so is sufficient.
>
> This is a an email blunder on my part. I meant to send this as a private
> message but I guess I pressed the wrong button. There was / is no
> sarcasm intended. This is a serious proposal.. For several companies,
> I have made special enhancements to the serialization library. Most of
> these
> ended up as part of the library. One case in particular was work on
> the portable_binary?iarchive.

[...]

This is fine, and it's occasionally difficult to evaluate tone in an email.
That's all.

- Jeff