Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [thread][move] compiling move(thread) with Android NDK GCC4.7
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-17 02:14:30

Le 17/01/13 03:34, Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. a écrit :
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Vicente J. Botet Escriba
> <vicente.botet_at_[hidden] <mailto:vicente.botet_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> Le 16/01/13 18:38, Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. a écrit :

>> MSVC10 and iOS
>> >

>> > ...which have rvalue references?
>>
>> Yes, you're right, it turns out that while the above
>> compilers have
>> c++11 enabled by default, in ndk gcc4.7 it's disabled by
>> default...
>>

>> One suggestion: lobby for Boost.Thread to adopt Boost.Move rather
>> than its own internal move emulation machinery (or, better yet,
>> supply a patch!), and additionally use the Boost.Container data
>> structures, which are Boost.Move-aware AFAIK.
>>

> Boost.Thread make use of Boost.Move when BOOST_THREAD_USES_MOVE is
> defined and can be used with Boost.Container or any standard c++
> container. The problem is that it doesn't provides both emulations
> at once.
>

> Remind me what the limitation of Boost.Move's emulation are wrt
> Boost.Thread, and how Boost.Thread's internal emulation avoids that
> limitation?

You misunderstood my concern. Boost.Move has no specific limitations
with respect to Boost.Thread. Boost.Thread internal(old) emulation has
more troubles than the one provided by Boost.Move.

I forgot to tell that BOOST_THREAD_USES_MOVE is defined by default when
BOOST_THREAD_VERSION >= 3. As the default version has not been changed
to version 3 in 1.53 as planned BOOST_THREAD_USES_MOVE is still not
defined.
I'm all for defining BOOST_THREAD_USES_MOVE even for version 2, but this
will changes the interface.

Comments of those that were against moving to version 3.

Best,
Vicente