Subject: Re: [Boost-users] unix tools
From: gast128 (gast128_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-12 12:23:16

On 2/12/2013 2:32 PM, Andreas Schäfer wrote:
> On 14:18 Tue 12 Feb , gast128 wrote:
>> Like I said most work is already in the libraries themselves, it is now
>> a matter of glueing the parts together.
>
> Ever watched Top Gear? "How hard can it be" is just a prefix to
> failing gloriously. You underestimate the complexity of these
> seemingly simple utilities.
I see a lot of applications parsing the commandline by hand, but almost
never as good (e.g. order of arguments) and readable (form a client
perspective) as Program Options.

>> If used correctly, c++ can much easier to read just because of the
>> automatic management. At least it makes porting them to other (non
>> unix, non cygwin) platforms more easily.
>
> I wonder which platform there is that was neither Windows nor Unix.
There are many but on second thought they are all related to Unix:
Android (kinda linux); Minix (posix compliant); MacOs (also unix?);
private embedded os. All have these gnu tools?

> All those things aside, Artyom (see his mail) has a point: there are
> already ports of the GNU tools for Windows. Rewriting code just for
> the sake of basing it on Boost isn't enough of a justification IMHO.
Ok, it was just an idea.

When using Ubuntu i had to learn all those new commandline tools and
options. But in fact they are so powerful I would like to have them in
'my fingers' by using them on Windows on a daily base as well. Ok cygwin
is an option but I thought maybe also a good idea to rewrite them in
modern c++ in hopefully a readable manner, so that they are safeguarded
for the future on any platform.