Subject: Re: [Boost-users] unix tools
From: Chris Cleeland (chris.cleeland_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-12 12:30:46

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM, gast128 <gast128_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> When using Ubuntu i had to learn all those new commandline tools and
> options. But in fact they are so powerful I would like to have them in 'my
> fingers' by using them on Windows on a daily base as well. Ok cygwin is an
> option but I thought maybe also a good idea to rewrite them in modern c++
> in hopefully a readable manner, so that they are safeguarded for the future
> on any platform.

The language is not the obstacle in porting. If anything, C is more
universal than C++ especially on embedded platforms. The obstacle to
porting are the system APIs (which are in C, no less) atop which those
command line tools sit. Cygwin is more than just command line tools--it's
also an entire adapter layer over the win32 API to present a POSIX-like
and unix-like API.

Most of the tools packaged in cygwin are just the standard tools compiled
and linked against cygwin. I don't see the value in changing to C++ when
you'd still have the need for the adaptation layer provided by cygwin, or
the need to import that adaptation layer into each tool.

IMHO, spend your time creating new wonderful things rather than reinventing
a very efficient wheel.

--
Chris Cleeland