Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [fusion, phoenix, spirit2] C++ orientation
From: Michael Powell (mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-24 12:20:00

Perhaps I should clarify too.

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On 2/24/2013 5:27 AM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
>
>> On 24/02/13 04:56, Michael Powell wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone. It's all very
>>> conceptual, very abstract, at this stage of the game. I know, or have a
>>> sense, exactly how I might do it in C#, .NET 4, and so on. A little less
>>> so what's available in C++, much less boost, spirit, phoenix, fusion,
>>> etc.
>>>

>> Boost is a collection of C++ libraries. Albeit there are libraries on
>> various subjects, what it covers is fairly little when compared to .NET,
>> and it isn't as consistent.
>>

> Are you implying this of Boost libraries in general ? If so I beg to
> differ. Boost libraries cover more than .Net libraries do in the realm of
> general purpose programming. The .Net API very nicely covers APIs specific
> to Windows programming and some general purpose APIs, but not nearly so
> much as Boost does of the latter.

There's no opinion war I'm looking for here. Have had exposure to C++/CLI
as well.

There are a couple of potential problems I am charged with solving to do
with .NET CodeDom type issues, dynamic compilation, pluggable interfaces,
that sort of thing, potentially addressing those issues. However, the
decision was made outside my control to go with Linux / C++, so my response
to that was, "let's utilize Boost for the model's engine where the dynamic
(and other) stuff is concerned."

So my questions were too broad, I'll concede that. I am learning what's
available, can/will ask more informed questions later.

> I do not mean to start an opinion war but I think your reply above gives
> the OP the wrong idea about the strengths of Boost libraries, especially as
> he is new to Boost. And yes I have programmed in .Net ( both C# and C++/CLI
> ) pretty extensively.

I do appreciate the feedback in the meantime, from all interested folks.