Subject: [Boost-users] [geometry] getting overlay_invalid_input_exception thrown from union operation
From: John Lilley (john.lilley_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-28 11:05:34

I am seeing a overlay_invalid_input_exception thrown from has_self_intersections when calling the union() operation.
Does indicate an internal error, or have I not conditioned my input properly?
My test is, taking the TIGER 2010 counties file for Alaska, and repeatedly calling union() on the polygons. There may be some issues that I can think of:
1) Island chains are represented as one big multi-ring polygon in the source shape file. When I convert to boost polygon, I set the first ring as the outer, and all others as inners.
2) Aleutians cross the 180-meridian. I am, however, taking steps to force all latitudes into the negative range, but that logic may need to be checked.