Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [CONFIG] static const definitions
From: Brian Budge (brian.budge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-01 13:12:25

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 12:47 AM, John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> I think it would be great to have a boost macro to test.
>>> If no one else is aware of a readily-available macro in boost config,
>>> maybe you can log a bug and provide a patch to get the ball rolling?
>>>
>>> Brian
>>
>> I've never done that before for Boost. Is there a guide you can point me
>> to, on the correct procedures to follow?
>

> It's here:
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_53_0/libs/config/doc/html/boost_config/guidelines_for_boost_authors.html#boost_config.guidelines_for_boost_authors.adding_new_defect_macros
>
> But to be honest that looks like a BOOST_WORKAROUND rather than a full on
> config macro to me - the reason being that it just looks like a compiler
> specific bug plain and simple, rather than a missing feature.
>
> As you say, Boost's usage of static constants are probably all in templates
> which are handled correctly, this is a weird one to be honest!

I'm only aware of this bug on MSVC (various versions, 32- and 64-bit).
 If no one knows of any other compiler/linkers that have this issue,
it's quite simple to check for the compiler macro, and so a boost
macro would probably be overkill. If the platforms vary more widely,
then perhaps a BOOST_WORKAROUND would be worthwhile (I didn't know
that this was different from config).

  Brian