Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost] [arm] Building for ARM
From: Michael Powell (mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-16 09:03:15

Uh oh...

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 3:46 AM, Antony Polukhin <antoshkka_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> 2013/3/16 Michael Powell <mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden]>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wonder, has anyone built Boost for ARM?
>
> Successfully build for RaspberryPi (ARM11 family).
>
>> Specifically, we've got an ARM5 for which I want to use Boost for many
>> of those features, a key one is Spirit2 for at least one
>> domain-specific-language (DSL) exposure, possibly two or three.
>
> Spirit worked well, but lexer from Boost.Spirit has some issues, to
> fix them you may use patch from
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/8291

Old ticket or it's been archived, moved, transferred out. Guess we'll
cross whatever bridges need crossing.

It finally pulled up but it was slow.

>> That I can say, we're working with Mentor Graphics, Code Sourcery Code
>> Bench for ARM for the moment. I think they've got current GCC language
>> support through 4.7.2 if it matters.
>>
>> My only questions are, how feasible a cross compile is Boost? Does the
>> inclusion and linkage go about as smoothly as for any other
>> ARM-destined output?
>
> On Raspberry Pi we were using a lot of boost libraries: asio,
> optional, variant, lexical_cast, spirit, threads, program_options,
> tuples, fusion, MPL, function, smart_ptr (all of them),
> interprocess... All of them worked well on GCC 4.7.2.

Doubtful we'll need ASIO. We may, but I am looking into
domain-specific distributed object technology at the moment.

The other features, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Probably so.

I'd like to use the C++11 feature-set provided GCC is sufficiently
stable with the 4.7 provision. If not, will probably see about the
C++0x feature-set (same caveat).

We probably will, good to know it's available and would work.