Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost] [arm] Building for ARM
From: Michael Powell (mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-16 09:11:32

Thank you...

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 2:01 AM, Vaclav Barta <vbar_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 03/16/13 02:24, Michael Powell wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wonder, has anyone built Boost for ARM?
>>
>> Specifically, we've got an ARM5 for which I want to use Boost for many
>> of those features, a key one is Spirit2 for at least one
>> domain-specific-language (DSL) exposure, possibly two or three.
>
> I've built Boost for Android (i.e. ARM6), and I'm far from the only one -
> I've started from https://github.com/MysticTreeGames/Boost-for-Android ,
> which is for an old version of Boost, but the general approach of keeping a
> set of patches removing problematic functionality (Android doesn't have full
> standard C++ library - no wide strings, no locales etc. - so parts of Boost
> depending on that have to be cut out) and extending Boost.Build with an
> Android target works across versions.

I will check there, thank you. I suspect we probably will need
cultural support. Could be an issue especially if we need to to any
global deliveries.

We're deploying to ArchLinux (latest distro AFAIK), kernel 3.7.1 (also
AFAIK), if it matters. Not sure how much time our contractor spent
pulling in what libraries (i.e. I needed to load up GDB for debug
purposes). All TBD for our development and/or production OS image.

>> That I can say, we're working with Mentor Graphics, Code Sourcery Code
>> Bench for ARM for the moment. I think they've got current GCC language
>> support through 4.7.2 if it matters.
>
> I'm sure recent GCC helps, but I'd also check their library support.

Will definitely need to do that.

>> My only questions are, how feasible a cross compile is Boost? Does the
>> inclusion and linkage go about as smoothly as for any other
>> ARM-destined output?
>
> It's feasible, but I wouldn't call it smooth... OTOH it might be just my
> lack of experience - Android was the first (and so far only) ARM I tried to
> port anything to, and I haven't added a Boost target before either...

Definitely my lack of experience in this realm I can tell you that.
Pulling tool chain around a somewhat sane delivery stream. Not the
easiest task on the planet to pull off.