Subject: [Boost-users] boost::uuid
From: John Emmas (johne53_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-11 03:40:57

Hello there,

I'm developing an app (originally written for Linux) which uses some
UUID functionality that originally came from a set of e2fs utilities for
Linux. I'm porting the app to Windows so naturally, the e2fs stuff
doesn't build. I need to find a UUID implemntation that's more
cross-platform - and of course, the obvious one to try is boost::uuid.

I first installed boost when it was at version 1.40 (1-2 years ago?)
Anyway, my installed version doesn't include UUID so I decided to update
to a more recent version. The most recent Windows installer I could
find was for version 1.51, from BoostPro:-

http://www.boostpro.com/download/

Unfortunately, it probably isn't the absolute latest because BoostPro is
apparently now discontinued - but it should be recent enough to include
the UUID modules. From what I can gather, boost::uuid has been around
since at least version 1.42. However, I hit a couple of problems:-

1) Firstly, I seem to get errors, no matter which mirror I use. I'll try
again later, in case the errors go away.

2) Despite the errors, something does seem to get downloaded. However,
rather than installing all the source files / DLLs etc, I just get a
subdirectory called "lib" which contains a bunch of zip files (over
100). My original (1.40) installation seemed to unpack everything for me.

3) AFAICT even ver 1.51 doesn't include any UUID functionality. There
was nothing for UUID that was selectable in the installer - and none of
the modules look like UUID. I seem to have boost::regex,
boost::filesystem, boost:date_time and a whole load of other stuff - but
no boost::uuid :-(

I then came across this web page which seems to suggest that all I need
to do is add one header file to my existing installation
(boost/uuid.hpp). Am I over-thinking this?? Is that all there is to
it?? Thanks.

John