Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::uuid
From: Igor R (boost.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-11 09:35:39

> I'm developing an app (originally written for Linux) which uses some UUID
> functionality that originally came from a set of e2fs utilities for Linux.
> I'm porting the app to Windows so naturally, the e2fs stuff doesn't build.
> I need to find a UUID implemntation that's more cross-platform - and of
> course, the obvious one to try is boost::uuid.
>
> I first installed boost when it was at version 1.40 (1-2 years ago?)
> Anyway, my installed version doesn't include UUID so I decided to update to
> a more recent version. The most recent Windows installer I could find was
> for version 1.51, from BoostPro:-
> http://www.boostpro.com/download/

Building Boost with MSVC is really simple. Just open command-prompt,
cd to the directory where you unzipped boost, and invoke "bootstrap",
then "b2 --build-type=complete stage". You'll find all the binaries in
stage\lib directory.
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/more/getting_started/windows.html#invoke-b2

<...>

> 3) AFAICT even ver 1.51 doesn't include any UUID functionality. There was
> nothing for UUID that was selectable in the installer - and none of the
> modules look like UUID. I seem to have boost::regex, boost::filesystem,
> boost:date_time and a whole load of other stuff - but no boost::uuid :-(

UUID is header-only library, so you don't need to build it, and I
guess the installer lists only the libraries that have to be pre-built
(all the header-only libs are installed anyway).
Just #include the appropriate header-files.