Subject: [Boost-users] [multi_index][ann] Boost.MultiIndex 1.55 preview: major update with C++11 capabilities
From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-14 07:10:01

Dear Boost.MultiIndex user:

I've completed a major update of Boost.MultiIndex retrievable from the SVN
repository, trunk branch, or at:

   https://www.dropbox.com/s/xipv129az88vgd1/multi_index_130713.zip

This update includes many C++11 capabilities (most emulated by various
means in pre-C++11 compilers,) among them the following:

* multi_index_container is now efficiently movable

   employee_set extract_employees(const std::string& db);

   employee_set cont=extract_employees("employees.dat");
   // no data copying

* Initializer lists supported (if the compiler provides them)

   employee_set es8{{0,"Rose",40,4512},{1,"Mary",38,3345},{2,"Jo",25,7102}};

* Emplace functions

   es.emplace(0,"Joe",31,1123);
   es.get<3>().emplace_back(3,"Judy",39,6201);

* Non-copyable elements allowed

   typeded multi_index_container<
     std::unique_ptr<employee>,
     indexed_by<...>
> employee_ptr_set;

How does this update affect you?

1. Of course, you can now begin using the new capabilities, even in
non-C++11 compilers with some limitations (explained at the documentation).

2. Your code can get some transparent performance gain without you
doing anything

   es.insert(employee(4,"Jill",52,3379));
   // temporary's moved rather than copied

3. The internal code has been refactored to implement the new features,
and this refactoring touches on preexisting functionality, hopefully
without producing regressions --this has been thoroughly tested, but:

It is now #3 that worries me the most: if you use Boost.MultiIndex and
have some time to test this preview with your code, please do so and
report the results. The more this update is tested before the official
release, the less problems it will cause (ideally none.) As the update
is major, every bit of testing helps.

Hope you enjoy the new features. Best regards,

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica Digital

This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at: