Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Problems compiling on Windows......
From: Richard (legalize+jeeves_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-24 16:07:50

boost-users_at_[hidden] spake the secret code
<51EE86CF.5040302_at_[hidden]> thusly:

>This appears to be correct, getenv according to the MSDN documentation
>is not available when compiling code for WinRT, using Visual Studio 12,
>on a Windows 8 machine.

The most important part of your message is above "compiling code for
WinRT". WinRT is not Win32, which makes getenv available.

See <http://ecn.channel9.msdn.com/events/Win8CppEvent/PortingToMetro.pptx>
which explicitly states that environment variable stuff is not
available in WinRT applications.

That particular header already provides for ways to map the needed
operation by boost.interprocess to a Win32 specific variant via
detail/win32_api.hpp. I suggest you create a patch that similarly
delegates the get_temporary_path() operation. Then use platform/toolchain
detection logic to identify WinRT vs. Win32 and do the right thing
under WinRT. The Win32 function for obtaining the path to the
temporary directory may work identically for both Win32 and WinRT.

     The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
  Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>