Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost.Asio, 0MQ, and Windows
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-13 07:59:16

On 08/11/2013 11:32 PM, Damien Kick wrote:

>> However, I got dissatisfied by how ZeroMQ hides too much detail from me
>> (like disconnect, so I cannot do things like Wake-on-LAN.)
>
> Yeah, I'd been thinking something similar, i.e. wanting to be able to
> know more about dis/connect, but then I discovered zmq_socket_monitor
> <http://api.zeromq.org/3-2:zmq-socket-monitor>. Maybe this was added
> since last you looked at it(0MQ)?

Yes, I am aware of zmq_socket_monitor [1].

You can use zmq_socket_monitor, but only to a limited degree. It was
primarily designed for logging purposes, and it is difficult to make a
decent connection management on top of it.

The problem is that libzmq has its own connection management that
handles things like re-connect and re-send. The event you get from
zmq_socket_monitor is delivered via a queue (a ZMQ_PAIR socket), so
you will always receive it after the fact. If you try to build your
own connection management on top of it, it will compete with the libzmq
handling.

[1] http://lists.zeromq.org/pipermail/zeromq-dev/2012-August/018012.html