Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost condition_variable internals
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-24 10:38:21

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 08:46:23AM -0600, Kenneth Adam Miller wrote:
> I need to know that boost does not use any kind of locking, mutex or
> semaphore mechanism within the boost::condition_variable class. I don't
> know where it is in source, or I would check to make certain. Can someone
> provide me a yes no verification?

The source code for a library is separated into two locations:
boost_1_xx_y/boost/name
boost_1_xx_y/libs/name/src

The former is the public headers and the latter is the sources and
headers used to build the compiled parts of some libraries.

As for Boost.Thread, I would start at the headers, looking at the
top-level header for the feature you're interested in. In the case of
condition_variable, it immediately branches into win32 and pthread.

At a quick glance, they may or may not have internal mutexes and
semaphores based on things like if the platform does interruption.

All in all it seems like a moot question without any other information,
considering that condition_variable by definition requires you to pass
in locks anyway when you wait on one.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]