Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Generating PDF from QuickBook?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-08 11:25:26

On 8 Feb 2014 at 14:41, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> I believe that RenderX XEP has been the only one that has worked on
> Quickbook toolchain to produce PDFs.

I nearly got a very old Apache FOP to work, but yes newer FOPs just
don't even try to work.

Be aware that RenderX PDF output has many formatting errors,
especially in the API reference section (on AFIO's PDF at least, you
can see our CI generated one at
https://ci.nedprod.com/view/All/job/Boost.AFIO%20Build%20Documentation
%20PDF/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/boost-trunk/bin.v2/libs/afio/doc/g
cc-4.6/debug/afio.pdf).

> HTML docs are essential, but PDFs are a single file and easily emailed,
> and can be *searched* using your favorite PDF reader, a useful feature if
> the docs are unindexed, or the term chosen by the authors to be indexed
> is not the term you expect.

I wouldn't underestimate the utility of Quickbook single HTML page
output. That is also very easily searchable in your web browser, and
saveable as a standalone web archive.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work in Ireland.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/