Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost or Standard when there is the choice?
From: Ahmed Charles (acharles_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-14 00:36:43

---------------------------------------- > From: s_sourceforge_at_[hidden] > To: boost-users_at_[hidden] > Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 19:50:47 +0000 > CC: stl_at_[hidden] > Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost or Standard when there is the choice? > >> The reason >> that Microsoft's STL ends up performing better than both Dinkumware's >> and Boost's implementations is because Microsoft cares about performance >> and implements most of the optimizations and because, like you said, >> Boost has more surface area. Microsoft currently cares and they know >> their compiler/platform better. > > I agree that Microsoft do a ton of customisation of the Dinkumware > STL, or rather, they /used/ to do a ton of customisation up till > VS2013. From my reading of the Dinkumware STL headers, most of the > customisation was MSVC specific workarounds rather than optimisations > per se. When running a diff between VS2013's STL and the vanilla one > we had at BlackBerry I saw a large drop in size of the patchset as > compared to VS2012. I didn't investigate, so in fairness the cause > could be anything. My point here, though apparently I didn't get it across well at all, was to give credit to Microsoft and STL for caring about performance and pushing to make it better. My example of make_shared was wrong, but I think the pattern still holds that Boost starts with a 'better' implementation and the standard implementers catch up and sometimes 'beat' Boost in some respect. >> Note: the STL that Dinkumware ships is not the same as the one Microsoft >> ships, so perhaps I'm just being pedantic about naming. > > It's pretty close. The BB10 NDK also uses the Dinkumware STL, and it > was not unheard of for us to compare the two when a bug turned up to > see our STL had been fixed without us realising. Correct, they are likely to be very close because Microsoft gives fixes back, which for portable fixes, means everyone benefits.