Subject: [Boost-users] trouble getting older version of boost to build
From: David Toth (dtoth) (dtoth_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-01 11:40:41

Hi. I am trying to build boost 1.41 (I need some of the libraries from it to compile some 3rd party software) and I am having issues.

On CentOS 6.5 with the "Software Developer Workstation" installation (which comes with gcc 4.4.7 and g++ 4.4.7), I can build boost simply by running bootstrap.sh followed by running bjam. That creates all the libraries and then I can compile the other software that requires those libraries. Unfortunately, I can't use CentOS on the systems I am using. I reverted to trying it on CentOS just to see if I could get it to work on one version of Linux, thinking that it would be easy to then get it to work on another version.

On Ubuntu, Fedora, and Debian (these are the versions of Linux I can use on the systems), I am unable to build the full set of libraries. After running bootstrap.sh and bjam, I am missing these files that were created on CentOS:

libboost_thread.aý
libboost_thread.soý
libboost_thread.so.1.41.0ý

Without those files, the 3rd party software won't compile. Ubuntu, Fedora, and Debian come with more updated compilers and I read some place online that gcc 4.8 and g++ 4.8 have some issues with the old versions of boost, so I tried installing gcc 4.4.7 and g++ 4.4.7 and changing the symbolic links for gcc and g++ in /usr/bin/ to point to gcc 4.4.7 and g++ 4.4.7. Unfortunately, I am still unable to get the thread library to get created.

I know boost 1.41 is old and I *might* be able to get away with using a version as recent as 1.49, but I have the same problems building that (and every version in between 1.41 and 1.49).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave