Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Building modular-boost on windows with masm32?
From: Jürgen Hunold (jhunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-22 09:15:09

Hi Alle Meije,
Am Dienstag, 22. Juli 2014, 14:59:19 schrieb Alle Meije Wink:
> I followed a slightly different recipe this time, first using 'cmd.exe' (in
> administrator mode) and MSYS bash:
>
> cd %HOMEPATH%\usr\local
> bash
> git config --global core.autocrlf true
> git clone --recursive https://github.com/boostorg/boost.git boost >
> clone.log
> exit
> bootstrap gcc
> b2 -a --prefix=c:\users\amwink\usr\local –build-type=complete
> --build-dir=build toolset=gcc link=shared runtime-link=shared
> threading=multi
>
> which completes without errors.

You should see:
...update XXX targets
...failed YYY targets

at the end of the build output. If you don't see "failed", everything build
fine.

> If I then re-enter my original build command
>
> b2 -a -d+2 -q --prefix=c:\users\amwink\usr\local –build-type=complete
> --build-dir=build toolset=gcc link=shared runtime-link=shared
> threading=multi
>
> it stops again at the point where the assembler is needed (see previous
> messages).

Yes, as "-d+2" just enables command line output, whereas -q activates "quit
on first error". In this case you have make-like behaviour.

> Does this mean that the build with the first call of b2 is actually
> successful?

No, the first build just ignores the build errors and happily builds the rest
of the libraries. It just the same as running "make -k".

> Or does the call without the " -d+2 -q " options compile/check
> parts of the building process that the first call skips?

No.

Note that the offending commandline will be printed in the error anyway, so
there is normally no need to add "-d +2".

Hope this helps.

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold  !
* voice: ++49 4257 300       ! Fährstraße 1