Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Building modular-boost on windows with masm32?
From: Alle Meije Wink (a.m.wink_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-22 08:59:19

> Oliver Kowalke-3
>> <http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=user_nodes&user=368875>
>> <http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=reply&node=4664638>
>> | Threaded | More Jul 02, 2014; 11:45am
>>
>>> Either that or of masm32?
>>>

>> because masm is made by Microsoft I would assume that the masm generates
>> valid object files (correct binary format)
>>
>> The test you mention uses the assembler of VC 8.
>>>

>> I assumed that MS VC uses masm - is this assumption not correct?
>>

>>> Would there be any way to tell? Or better even, a way around it?
>>>

>> around what? not to use masm? if yes you would have to provide the
>> assembler code in the syntax your assembler tool understands and
>> you still have to provide object files in MS PE binary format
>>

> MS VC may use masm, but I am not using VC.
> I installed masm from here http://www.masm32.com
>
> With 'around' in this case I mean compile boost without installing VC.
> Now installing WDK which provides an x64-compatible masm. That seems to be
> the only alternative?
>
> Thanks for your helpful comments, I will let you know how I get on.
>
> bw
> Alle Meije

I followed a slightly different recipe this time, first using 'cmd.exe' (in
administrator mode) and MSYS bash:

cd %HOMEPATH%\usr\local
bash
git config --global core.autocrlf true
git clone --recursive https://github.com/boostorg/boost.git boost >
clone.log
exit
bootstrap gcc
b2 -a --prefix=c:\users\amwink\usr\local –build-type=complete
--build-dir=build toolset=gcc link=shared runtime-link=shared
threading=multi

which completes without errors.
If I then re-enter my original build command

b2 -a -d+2 -q --prefix=c:\users\amwink\usr\local –build-type=complete
--build-dir=build toolset=gcc link=shared runtime-link=shared
threading=multi

it stops again at the point where the assembler is needed (see previous
messages).

Does this mean that the build with the first call of b2 is actually
successful? Or does the call without the " -d+2 -q " options compile/check
parts of the building process that the first call skips?

As always, many thanks for your help
Alle Meije