Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [ASIO] directory monitor ASIO extension
From: Boris Schäling (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-05 14:54:50

On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 15:36:05 +0200, Szymon Gatner
<szymon.gatner_at_[hidden]> wrote:

Hi Szymon,

> I am going through code of directory monitor ASIO extension by Boris
> Schäling (http://www.highscore.de/boost/dir_monitor.zip) and I am
> wondering: what is the benefit of making this piece of code / library an
> ASIO extension.

Keith has already answered your question. :) I just want to let you know
that others have continued working on the directory monitor. There is for
example this project at GitHub: <https://github.com/berkus/dir_monitor>

Please note that the directory monitor (it's from 2008) can be implemented
much better today. For example, have a look at this implementation (from
2011):
<https://github.com/boostcon/2011_presentations/blob/master/wed/asio_extensions/directory_monitor.cpp>

The directory monitor from 2008 uses a background thread. The
(Windows-only) implementation from 2011 is integrated into Boost.Asio's
event loop and uses no extra thread anymore.

Boris