Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [ASIO] directory monitor ASIO extension
From: Szymon Gatner (szymon.gatner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-05 15:05:30

Hey Boris!

> Please note that the directory monitor (it's from 2008) can be implemented
> much better today. For example, have a look at this implementation (from
> 2011): <https://github.com/boostcon/2011_presentations/blob/
> master/wed/asio_extensions/directory_monitor.cpp>

thanks for answering. I actually saw both implementations (2008 ans 2011)
and my question arose from differences from them.

Version from 2011 is single class and NOT an ASIO extension - there is no
deriving from basic_io_object or io_service::service. Hence my question:
what is the benefit of deriving from those classes and making your class an
ASIO extension vs 2011 version where io_service is just used "externally"
for synchronization purposes.