Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost] [test] boost.test owner unresponsive to persistent problems for multiple years
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-18 05:49:31

shipping release.

It is indeed really deplorable that we don't have Boost.Test updates in a release.

Though in mitigation I note that we are really struggling to get out a GIT-driven release at all,
(and some of the new troubles are with asynch-exceptions in Boost.Test. See this thread Re: [boost]
Running b2 on develop needs asynch-exceptions=on.)

However, Richard's hard work on improved docs have been refined and completed by
Raffi Enficiaud.

Many bug fixes are in the develop branch (including some very new and prompt bug fixes, for example
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/11054).

I also understand that the fear of Boost.Test updates causing trouble with other libraries, and
worse with users test, is a cause for caution in a release version.

So it would be really good if

*lots more users could download and use the version in the Boost.Test develop branch*

so we can get current user feedback. (My experience is good using this, and the test matrix is also
good).

You can download just Boost.Test either using GIT or as a zip from

https://github.com/boostorg/test/tree/develop

and substitute it for the contents of the current release modular-boost/libs/test folder

(Don't forget to rebuild the Boost.Test library unless you only use the included version).

If nothing else, you will find Raffi's shiny new Boostbook docs finally allow you to find what you
want to know without frustration.

I'd very much like to see this new docs version in the 1.58 documentation release (despite any new
features not being in the code release).

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse