Subject: [Boost-users] what happens between "fixed in development" and "available in release"?
From: oswin krause (oswin.krause_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-18 10:40:03

Hi,

Question is in the subject. What has to happen after a fix of a bug in
development stage before it enters an official release?

Do not get me wrong, I like boost and all it does for the community and
all the effort people put into it. And i really would like to help to
speed up certain...processes, but for this i have to know what can block
this step?

Apparently a bug in serialisation - which totally breaks my software to
the point where it can not be compiled on several linux distributions
und MacOsX since release of boost 1.56 - is fixed in development even
prior to 1.57 and is still not available in 1.58. And what I hear from
several mails across the mailing list, this is not the only change that
got stuck. And somehow i have the feeling that the new boost release
cycle won't make the situation any better.

As I said, do not get me wrong, but this situation becomes unbearable as
these boost versions spread more and more through the ecosystem and
there is really nothing on my side I can do about it, except rolling my
own implementation and maintaining it, until this whole thing is faded
out of all major distributions(you might already get the feeling that I
am not really happy about doing that).

if there is something i can do to help, I will do it. But I now know
that "report bugs and investigate possible fixes and send patches" does
not necessarily lead to a fast fix and i am pretty frustrated by the
situation.

Best,
Oswin