Subject: Re: [Boost-users] what happens between "fixed in development" and "available in release"?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-18 17:31:06

On 3/18/2015 10:40 AM, oswin krause wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Question is in the subject. What has to happen after a fix of a bug in
> development stage before it enters an official release?
>
> Do not get me wrong, I like boost and all it does for the community and
> all the effort people put into it. And i really would like to help to
> speed up certain...processes, but for this i have to know what can block
> this step?
>
> Apparently a bug in serialisation - which totally breaks my software to
> the point where it can not be compiled on several linux distributions
> und MacOsX since release of boost 1.56 - is fixed in development even
> prior to 1.57 and is still not available in 1.58. And what I hear from
> several mails across the mailing list, this is not the only change that
> got stuck. And somehow i have the feeling that the new boost release
> cycle won't make the situation any better.
>
> As I said, do not get me wrong, but this situation becomes unbearable as
> these boost versions spread more and more through the ecosystem and
> there is really nothing on my side I can do about it, except rolling my
> own implementation and maintaining it, until this whole thing is faded
> out of all major distributions(you might already get the feeling that I
> am not really happy about doing that).
>
> if there is something i can do to help, I will do it. But I now know
> that "report bugs and investigate possible fixes and send patches" does
> not necessarily lead to a fast fix and i am pretty frustrated by the
> situation.

Putting '[serialization]' as the start of the subject to your message
has more chance of alerting the Boost developer of the serialization
library to your issue. Also citing the actual bug report that has been
fixed in serialization on the 'develop' branch would help to specify the
actual case of which you are concerned.