Subject: Re: [Boost-users] what happens between "fixed in development" and "available in release"?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-19 12:46:15

On 19 Mar 2015 at 8:41, Robert Ramey wrote:

> In this particular instance, I had trouble with step c). This is not
> unusual as I have to confess the git submodule setup is pretty confusing and
> I don't do it all that frequently. When I finally managed to get this done,
> I found that the code that I use to review the results (tools/regression)
> has been removed from the master branch. Of course this was a surprise to
> me! Apparently I'm the only one that uses this code (not a huge surprise,
> I'm not sure why though). So now I have to remember how to get this thing
> built again and figure out where I'm going to keep it.
>
> So all in all this ends up taking a lot more time than one would expect.

I hear this. It cost me 200 hours to make a release of AFIO. That's
six weeks of working till 5am night after night after your day job,
with associated exhaustion, poor performance at work, and family
irritation with you. Once per year for me I think, no more.

> You might ask - why not just merge develop into master and watch the test
> results? I would answer that I've learned the hard way that taking a
> "shortcut" can lead to repercussions which such up lots, lots more time.
> Even investing the effort above, the bug that provokes this email still
> managed to creep in and was not detected by my tests.

Personally speaking, I'd do that exact merge straight after a Boost
release. That gives you the time to find and fix any problems before
the next release. In other words, develop lags master by one major
Boost release.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting