Subject: Re: [Boost-users] what happens between "fixed in development" and "available in release"?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-19 12:50:59

On 19 Mar 2015 at 8:58, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

> > Those libraries without active maintainers I would personally avoid as
> > you're always going to be fighting to find someone willing to merge
> > fixes.
>
> Sounds like sage advice. As a Boost user, how do I know which is which?

Check the release notes to see if the changelog hasn't mentioned the
maintainer in many years. Ditto for the commit log. Another good sign
is how old the oldest unfixed bugs on the issue tracker are. By those
measures, perhaps as many as 20% of Boost libraries are looking
unmaintained or poorly maintained. Symptom of maturity.

If a maintainer formally resigns or is known to be no longer
available, the CMT can take over the library. However, most orphaned
libraries right now are still technically maintained by their named
maintainer even if we haven't see the maintainer in many years. The
problem as always is finding new maintainer willing to sacrifice
themselves sufficiently to be a good library maintainer.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/