Subject: [Boost-users] linking and including in visual studio
From: David Medine (dmedine_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-26 16:14:02

This is kind of a stupid question, and maybe more of a Windows/Visual
Studio question than a boost one, but this has been troubling the back
of my mind lately.

Having learned to write and compile C++ code on Linux, I am always in
the habit of explicitly stating the include and library paths for the
compiler to search for, as well as the libraries themselves that need to
be linked. However, I am revising some Visual Studio projects that use
boost and I realized that the path I gave for 'Additional Library
Directories' is $(BOOST_ROOT)/lib, but my version of boost hasn't got
this directory (it's actually $(BOOST_ROOT)\libs). I then removed all
references to boost from 'Additional Library Directories', and
'Additional Include Directories' and the application builds and runs
swimmingly.

This leads me to believe, that assigning the BOOST_ROOT environment
variable in Windows is the only step that is needed for VS's auto
linking magic to link correctly to boost. Am I right here, or is there
something I am missing?
Cheers,
David